Powered by Blogger.

Seize the Day

Hi friends! Today I'm popping in with a fun card I made yesterday. I happened to be surfing through YouTube and came across a short video by Jenniebellie titled How to Pick Which Project To Do. It seemed like just the thing I needed as I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by my lack of creativity, even though I had set aside some time to get inky.


The gist of the video is that there are two ways to start creating. One way is to pick the thing our heart most wants to do right in this moment. The other is to start with the end product in mind and work towards that goal. Each way works on its own, but conflict comes in when you try to mix the methods. It seemed to make sense, and since the end goal wasn't seeming to motivate me, I asked myself right then what I wanted to work on. The TCP Tuesday challenge and the unopened pile of TCP stamps on my desk shot right to mind.  So I scooted all of the in progress release projects I'm working on to the side and just started playing with stamps.

The theme for the challenge is How Does Your Garden Grow. My mind immediately went to the Watercolor Basics set and I thought it would be fun to build my own garden using just the stamps in this set. I started with the big circle splatter, thinking it seemed a fun flower shape.  I added in the little trio splatters in a darker ink, stamping them twice, rotated in each center.  Next I used a piece of washi tape to mask off a line coming down from the flower and used the narrowest strip stamp as the stem.


I stamped another of the stamps in green and cut a few leaves out for my stems.  I used another strip stamp in a soft blue for the sky and used the same stamp vertically for  the grass across the bottom.  I filled in some of the sky and grass with coordinating colors of Pan Pastels and added some pieces of tissue tape all around and as strips on my stem and leaves. I grabbed a sentiment from the Simple Blooms sentiment, which I thought  was the perfect way to capture the feeling that inspired the card. It also went perfectly with these fun flair buttons I found hidden in my stash.

All in all, a super fun and rewarding break from my stamping to-do list.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you have a super creative day.

Enabler's List
Stamps: Watercolor Basics, Simple Blooms (TCP)
Paper: white, black
Ink: forest glades, coral berry, frosty pink, sea glass (Altenew), rose red (SU!), onyx black (Versafine), antique linen distress (Ranger), Pan Pastels
Accessories: tissue tape (Tim Holtz Idea-Ology), adhesive buttons

6 comments

Annheidel said...

I love your flowers! It's such a clever way to use watercolor-style images. I've struggled quite a bit with creativity this year due to some family challenges and my son's wedding last month. Now that I have some free time, I can't seem to get started. Obviously, I just need to play! :)

Becca Cruger said...

Loved it. Pinned it! Drooled a little bit all over myself. Wiped it off. Drooled again. Gave up and am now leaving a comment. LOVE the little grungy bits around the side and what you've done to grunge up the leaves. And I adoooooore the little flair you added to the centers of your flowers. Geniusness.

JoAnn said...

Love your fun card and the way you have done those cute blooms and leaves. I don't think you have had a lack of creativity. Love all the wonderful cards you have been posting. Have a wonderful day.

Purple Princess said...

Wonderful!!

Brenda said...

I loved reading about the creative process behind this wonderful card! So very creative (don't you love the watercolor stamps?). Thanks so much for joining us at TCPTuesday Challenge!

Nancy Thomas said...

So happy to see you playing Julee. This is gorgeous and a fun use of the image from the Watercolor Basics set. Thank you for joining the TCP Tuesday challenge at The Cat's Pajamas.